Emergency Situations

Report and Support is not intended for emergencies.  If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, call 999 or the following numbers depending on your location and situation:
                    On Campus, Campus Safety:  Call 0121 359 2922 or via the Safezone app.
                    Off Campus, Emergency Services: 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you can’t speak:
                                 -  Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
                                 -  Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can, or by any other means to make yourself heard
                                 When asked, press 55 
If you think someone you know has experienced discrimination then there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Taking time to understand what constitutes discrimination may inform your next steps in supporting someone.


Talk to them - If they feel able, talking things over can sometimes be a big help. They may be able to describe what has been happening and how it has made them feel. 

Listen - Stay calm, be empathetic and show your concern. Try to listen without judging or directing. 

Give options - When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps. Allow the individual to stay in control of the conversation and of their decisions. 

Is this a situation that could be resolved without intervention? For instance, talking to the person who is discriminating against them. They should only do this if they feel safe and confident to do so. 

Make sure you look after yourself and if you need support ask for it. 


Find out more about supportboth within and outside of the University for dealing with discrimination. 


  • Reporting to the University - They can choose to report with their contact details or anonymously using the buttons below.  If they provide contact details then an advisor will contact them and be able to talk through the options and support available to them, in confidence.  If they choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff then there are procedures which set out the steps they will need to follow. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened