Emergency Situations

Report and Support is not intended for emergencies.  If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, call 999 or the following numbers depending on your location and situation:
                    On Campus, Campus Safety:  Call 0121 359 2922 or via the Safezone app.
                    Off Campus, Emergency Services: 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you can’t speak:
                                 -  Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
                                 -  Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can, or by any other means to make yourself heard
                                 When asked, press 55 
Support for students

  • The Hub - The first point of contact for areas relating to student support and advice. They will be able to point you in the right direction with regards to which service may be suitable to your needs. 
  • Counselling and Mental Wellbeing Service - The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support to students. 
  • Chaplaincy Team - The Chaplaincy team is experienced at listening and offering pastoral and spiritual guidance, prayer, support, and friendship. Care and support is offered to all, regardless of background.
  • The Enabling Team - Our Enabling Team provide advice and support for students with disabilities, including ongoing health conditions and learning difficulties. 

Support from the Students' Union
  • Advice and Representation Centre (ARC) – you can also get independent and confidential advice and support from the ARC based at Aston Students’ Union. They will be able to speak with you about your situation, your options and make you aware of the support service available. 
Find more information about the support available from Advice and Representation Centre (ARC). 
Support for staff

Initially you may wish to speak with your line manager or if that is not appropriate then you can also contact HR directly.

Employees can also seek support through the University’s Employee Assistance Programme, PAM Assist, which is a free confidential and life management and personal support service available to staff 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: 0800 882 4102.

UNITE and UCU also provide support to their members.

Support outside of the University
It can sometimes be helpful to get in touch with local or national organisations for additional support, or if you would prefer to speak to someone outside the university
  • Samaritans -  You can call for free on 116 123 for non-judgemental emotional support 24/7, regardless of what you’re going through. You can also email them at jo@samaritans.org.
  • Togetherall - An anonymous 24/7 online global community with support from trained professionals which you can log onto using your university email address.
  • Citizens Advice – for information on discrimination at work and/or in education
  • Equality Advisory and Support Service – advice and support on equality and human rights
  • ACAS:  - free, impartial advice on workplace rights, rules and best practice.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened