Emergency Situations

Report and Support is not intended for emergencies.  If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, call 999 or the following numbers depending on your location and situation:
                    On Campus, Campus Safety:  Call 0121 359 2922 or via the Safezone app.
                    Off Campus, Emergency Services: 999 (or 112 from a mobile).  If you can’t speak:
                                 -  Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
                                 -  Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can, or by any other means to make yourself heard
                                 When asked, press 55 
Sexual violence is never okay. 
If you have experienced sexual violence or been affected by it in any way there is a lot of support available. You do not have to go through it alone. 
Within the University 
  • The Hub – the first point of contact for areas relating to student support and advice. They will be able to point you in the right direction with regards to which service may be suitable to your needs. 
  • Counselling and Wellbeing Service – the university’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support to students including those that have experienced or been affected by sexual violence either recently or in the past. 
  • Chaplaincy Team – the Chaplaincy team is experienced at listening and offering pastoral and spiritual support and guidance to students, regardless of their background. 
  • Advice and Representation Centre (ARC)– you can also get independent and confidential advice and support from the ARC based at Aston Students’ Union. They will be able to speak with you about your situation, your options and make you aware of the support service available. Find more information about the support available from Advice and Representation Centre (ARC). 

Outside of the University

It can sometimes be helpful to get in touch with local or national organisations for additional support, or if you would prefer to speak to someone outside the university. 
  • Horizon SARC provides services to anyone who has experienced rape or sexual assault. The specialist team can offer emotional support, access to counselling, support of an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA), medical care (including sexual health and emergency contraception), practical support and information about making a report to the Police. 
  • Rape and Sexual Violence Project (RSVP) provides services to anyone living within Birmingham and Solihull who has experienced sexual violence or is supporting someone that has experienced sexual violence. Their services include counselling, support groups, advocacy, and specialist support for LGBTQ+ people, asylum seekers and sex workers. They have some excellent self help resources on their website. 
  • Safeline is a specialised charity working to prevent sexual abuse and to support those affected in their recovery. 
  • The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) provides a national freephone support line for adults who have suffered any type of abuse in childhood. 
  • Survivors UK specialist support service for those who identify as male, trans, non-binary, has identified as male in the past, and have experienced sexual violence and/or abuse. They have an online/text/WhatsApp helpline service. 
  • Male Survivors' Partnership support for male survivors of sexual offences.  
  • Galop provides advice and support to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer people who have experienced sexual violence. 
  • Birmingham LGBT offers a range of services focused on improving the health and wellbeing of individuals, including sexual health support, LGBT Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) and wellbeing support services. 
  • Umbrella is an organisation which offers various services relating to sexual health, for example, self-sampling STI kits that can be ordered online. 
  • National sexual health helplinenumber is 0800 567 123 and it is free to call. 
  • Revenge Porn Helplinea service dedicated to helping adults who have been affected by online and image based sexual violence. 
  • Victim Focus - Free self-development course on caring for yourself after sexual violence. 
  • Togetherallis an anonymous 24/7 online global community with support from trained professionals. You can log onto this using your university email address. 
Support for staff 

If you feel comfortable you may wish to speak with your line manager or contact HR about what has happened. You can also seek support through the University’s Employee Assistance Programme, PAM Assist, which is a free and confidential service available 24/7 that offers access to counselling and other support on 0800 882 4102. 
UNITE and UCU also provide support to their members. 
Further information and guidance

The following websites provide extra information, guidance and support on issues of sexual violence: 

If you would like to view a full list of specific specialist support for yourself and/or others, please click here

There are two ways you can tell us what happened